Thursday, October 22, 2009

Happiness

"Happiness only real when shared"

This was the quote that Christopher Mccandless wrote in a book while "living off the land", if you will. He was alone in the wilderness for quite sometime, and this was something he wanted to share near the end of his experiences in the wild.

I couldn't agree more with this quote, especially at this time in my life.

It can be compared easily to the lack of release for any other emotion, such as anger, sadness, desperation. We, as humans, need to express ourselves in order to stay sane. Most of us have learned from experiences what it is that helps us release emotions. Whether it be writing, playing music, listening to music, talking it out, exercise, or hugs, we know what we need to do for release. Some of us, and probably all of us at some point, forget to release, and keep everything bottled up. We have learned through numerous psychological studies and tests, that is is unhealthy to keep negative emotions bottled up inside.

The reasons we keep things pent up vary. My own reasoning is simply, why bother? Yes, I might get slightly irritated with a comment my mother makes, or the way a friend brushes off something very important to me, but what is the point in bringing it up when I know I will get over it extremely soon? I don't want to make things any more difficult than they are in everyday life. Might as well keep it smooth and carefree, right?

Some people disagree. "People have trouble managing anger and other negative emotions. Anger is often one of the few emotions men consider it "acceptable" to display.Studies show that the ability to identify and label emotions correctly, and talk about them straightforwardly to the point of feeling understood, makes negative feelings dissipate." says Hara Estroff Marano, an award winning writer for Psychology Today.

So, yes, it is evident that we hear all about the negative effects of not expressing out negative emotions when they come up. It's everywhere. On the news, in the papers...I don't think there is a professional out there that believes differently.

But have you ever heard of the negative effects of keeping POSITIVE emotions bottled up? Well....no. I mean, if talking about negative emotions makes them dissipate, then let's shut up about our happiness! I'll keep it all for myself, Thank you very much! Seems logical, right?

Wrong. You must release positive emotions as well....maybe not so much release as radiate..but either way. When you feel your heart fill with excitement, happiness, joy, etc., our first instinct is to jump up and down and tell the whole world. If we keep this feeling inside, it doesn't stay there and just keep you happy for a prolonged period of time....if you keep positive emotions bottled up, they dissipate, rather than the other way around.

So how do we express our happiness? True, we may write, play music, exercise, etc. just the same when we feel excited or joyous, however, the most fulfilling way to express these emotions is to talk to someone about them.

Now, as I understand it, if you run up to a stranger on the street with the utmost excitment and energy, and yell "GUESS WHAT!!?!? I FINALLY GOT THE PROMOTION I HAVE BEEN WANTING! YESSSS!!!"....there may be a select few people that would go with it and act just as excited, but I'm pretty sure the majority of the world would react in a perplexed-I'm dealing with a crazy person-please don't take my money- sort of way.

So to radiate happiness, and for it to be real in your own heart, you must find a friend or loved one, who understands your happiness or excitement. Someone you can share it with, and will want to celebrate with you.

Coming back to my personal life connection to this topic, this is the main reason I think moving to Florida is the right choice for me at this time. I am happy, sure, and yes, I have family and a few people I can share it with. However, it is that special bond, that relationship I have with Morgan and Katrina, who are going through a lot of the same things as I am in life, that makes it possible for them to understand my feelings and truly appreciate them for what they are. It makes a HUGE difference to me.

Not to mention, the amount of happiness created when with these two, mostly through laughter always, outweighs the monetary, etc. aspects of the situation.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment